Friday 28 June 2013

An Insight Into French Knitting plus a tutorial



Hello everyone. Today I would like to share with you a new insight into French Knitting. From 8.30am to 8.45am, we have quiet games in our learning space. They are meant to help establish relationships and also to enable a calm start to the day. I am always on the look out for games and activities that the children enjoy as well as provide some experiences that allow for conversation.

I recently made some French Knitting Looms out of toilet rolls and bought some bright colourful wool. I asked some children to join me and immediately I had a group of children eager to join in. What was amazing was the reaction - I ran out of stock. I have now approx 20-25 looms created.

Both boys and girls join in when the French knitting comes out. They chat and share their experiences with me about who knits etc in their family. Some even bring their own knitting to school to join in. Others ask their siblings to show them what to do as they want to join in or have their own knitting loom. It has also empowered students. Those who are experienced, very graciously assist those new to French knitting or help out when I am busy with other knitters.
Another positive is the feedback from parents. I often hear parents share how their children love to French knit at home. They also share how much their children enjoy the experience.

I had a request from some of the students to create a tutorial. I have accepted the challenge and you can find it below. In my video tutorial I will show you how to create a knitting loom, French knit and cast off.

Supplies:

  • toilet roll
  • strong adhesive
  • pop sticks
  • wool




Thanks for stopping  by!




post signature

2 comments:

  1. Cathy, I loved the French knitting. It brought back so many memories, but i am really impressed by the knitting circles it has inspired. i am glad you accepted the video challenge - so professional.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful and creative activity to do with the children in your classroom!! So neat that they are taking it home!! ~ Blessings, Tracey

    Garden of Grace

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment. I truly appreciate it!